Sunday, August 19, 2012

Halfway Homemade: "Whey" Yummy Protein Bars


So lately I have been trying to find snack foods that are yummy and filling without having tons of ingredients that I don't know what they are. I don't know about where anyone else lives but, here in small town USA, we don't have a wide variety of food stores. I searched online and finally came across some recipes. I changed it up some to accommodate the ingredients I had in my home and to make everything the right consistency. 


THINGS YOU'LL NEED:
  • 4 scoops of whey protein powder (vanilla or chocolate) (I use chocolate)
  • 2 cups of plain oats
  • 5 TBS of peanut butter (alternatives at the end of this post)
  • 1/2 C  of milk (or almond milk or water)
 
Put the protein powder and oats in a large bowl
 
Put the milk in a microwave safe bowl and add the peanut butter.
Microwave for 30-45 seconds. (Just long enough to slightly soften the peanut butter)
 
Add the milk and peanut butter to the powder and oats and mix with a spoon until everything looks the same. 

Spray a baking dish (9x12) with some cooking spray and add the protein bar mix to it. 

Pat the mixture flat and put in the refrigerator for two hours.
 
After the two hours, take it out and cut up your bars. 
This recipe should yield about 8 decent sized bars.
 
 
NOW...The way listed above is the right way to do it...they turn out delicious! The way I am about to explain is the way I did it that generated some interest on my Facebook after posting a status about them.

3 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder
1 cup of apples and cinnamon oatmeal (from a pack)
2 1/2 TBS peanut butter
1/4 C milk

Now, I know this sounds strange, but I had less protein powder than I thought and no plain oats. I got a little ahead of myself and started adding stuff and microwaving before I realized I was a little short on ingredients. Follow the steps above for preparing these. 
 
In my not paying attention...I added 1/2 C milk instead of 1/4 cup so mine did NOT harden correctly...I can still cut them and eat them and they are SUPER DELICIOUS but, they  are SUPER GOOEY and when I try to pick them up they kind of just go limp and get stuck to the plate I have them on so it turns in to me eating protein bar pieces haha!

The finished product for the Chocolate Apple Cinnamon Peanut Butter Protein Bars are "whey" yummy....get it...whey yummy...way yummy...yea...anyways
 
 
I think next time I may try chunky peanut butter. Also, if you are allergic to peanuts (or just don't like it like my friend Katie over at Simply Put) you can use one of these alternatives.
  • Soy Nut Butter
  • Sunflower Butter
  • Barney Butter
  • Almond Butter (or other nut butters)
  • Nutella 
Now, before you make it with one of those alternatives and come back saying it didn't taste right, I have NEVER used anything other than peanut butter to make these. I just googled alternatives for PB for all my non-PB loving readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment