Monday, May 28, 2012

My new unexplainable addiction

OK...here's the thing, I don't know where it started or what fueled this addiction but at times it consumes me. I have spent countless hours searching for a fix that thus far has been unattainable.

How can I be addicted to something I have never had?
Am I just addicted to searching for it?
Will I stop spending so much time trying to find something I have never had if I get it?
Will getting what I'm trying to find end my addiction or just fuel it more?

Before anyone reading this gets to excited or concerned that I'm about to reveal some deep dark secret about being on drugs and searching for a new high, I'm not. This has nothing to do with anything illegal or any kind of mood or mind altering drugs. So without further ado, I am admitting that I am addicted to finding Japanese snacks...not what you expected right? ME EITHER!! These aren't just regular snacks that have Japanese labels, they are DIY snacks. You literally buy the package that comes with a mixing tray and powders and you add water to make different substances that usually turn in to some kind of gummy snack. This was the first one I saw a video of and it has just escalated from there.
This is called Popin Cookin Happy Kitchen:Hamburger. There are videos on YouTube of how to make it. It looks like a little meal you would get from a fast food place but they are little tiny gummy burgers and fries and it even comes with a little drink. I know what some of you are thinking, "Why don't you just go get gummy burgers from the store, they come already made." Here's the thing, you get to MAKE this and not all of it tastes just like a gummy, some of them taste like what they're supposed to be!

I have scoured the internet trying to find these and in the process have found even more interesting Japanese candy and snacks that, for some reason, I feel like I need to get. The problem: I can't afford to get all the things I want to try and have the authentic Japanese food sent here. It isn't like I didn't know that I probably wouldn't be able to find some of this stuff in the states, but I just figured that SOMEWHERE there would be a website based in the US that would offer wide varieties of international snacks. While I know that these are not "authentic" Japanese food items, I think they are AMAZING.

Maybe it's not just about the snacks, maybe I'm just tired of our mundane snacks and their lack of originality and invention. Maybe I'm sick of not having new options for snacks and not have "adventurous" foods readily available. Sure, we have escargot, caviar, bison jerky, and stuff like that but where is the dried seasoned squid or the seaweed chips with wasabi or Green Tea flavored KitKats or GUMMY SNACKS YOU CAN MAKE YOURSELF! I get that obviously other countries are going to have different snacks, but why can't we have some kind of store, even if it's just online, that offers these treats and such from other countries so we can experience different cultures foods without having to fork out the dough to go there because let's be honest, I can't afford to jet off to Japan at will just to try some new food.

Point being, I'm still trying to find foods that I will be able to try and experience without having to pay more in shipping than for the food itself. If anyone knows of a website, let me know because I REALLY want to experience something new as far as food goes because I am SO SICK of everything being the same. I know there are plenty of odd things out there from other countries that sound gross...but I have, for some reason, decided that I need to experience them.





No comments:

Post a Comment